cover page

cover page

Sunday, October 27, 2013

My dive on June 14th 2013

On the Miracle of Life  wreck

 On June 14th We (Clifton Hunter . Josh Goode. Jesica Brodnick) arrived  in Pompano Beach .stopped for some breakfast. Then we got to South Florida Dive center and charter .We got there a little early , So we started to get our gear situated. Then we signed in paid our money. Know we were set .Just had to wait for the boat to be primed and asked to board..We get the word to board . The four of us loaded our gear and picked our spots on the boat (Black Pearl)
The day was starting out great Temps in the low 80*s no clouds , And the boat was not going to be crowded . We started putting our gear together so that we would be ready when we arrived at the dive sight.
I get my gear all set up and put on my 3mm wet suit, Ahh now I am ready. As  I was looking around taking in the sights ,I over heir The captain taking to one of the divers in the back of the boat . I here him call him John  .My ears perk up  and I get a little intrigued !! I asked the captain If that was John Chaterton he was taking to (knowing that John Chaterton frequents the South Florida Dive Headquarters )John Chaterton.
He replied yes ,he dive with us a lot , I am so stoked  . I never thought I would ever get to meet him or even dive with him . Wow what a day !
The captain asked us to please find a seat . We are getting underway and we could move around once we  have made our way farther out in the inland channel .The ride out was going to be a long  enjoyable ride. We get out  into open water , And the ride was so smooth . The Seas were flat  (all day)

This was just the calm before the storm. Just gave me a false since  everything being a  BREEZE
Well we arrive at the dive sight. The dive master gears up to drop down and set the hook/anchor line to the wreck. he jumps in and disappears below the surface ,it's getting closer . A few minutes later the Dive master
pops back up he missed the wreck. He said he ran out of slack line to hook it to the wreck . So we circled back around after they pulled the line and mooring ball back in. He was going to drop back down again a little up currant of it  to drift in to it . The line got hooked in  , The captain gave every one the go ahead to gear up and jump in . I gear up and walk to the back of the boat and get in line to jump in .
Cliff , Jessica , Josh, John jump in ahead of me ,I jump in the currant stared to pull me away Josh reaches out to help me  get to the line . I drop down the line to the 10' area and Jessica is clinging to the line with both arms . The currant is ripping. John signals to here if she was OK . She signals no , he signals thumbs up she shakes here head yes . Did I say that the currant was ripping? John reaches around here and down the line, I then fallowed  and I to reached around here myself . This all should have been my sign that this dive was way out there form me to . But I moved on . My thought was that It will get better after I get down farther . Well I was PULLING my way down and holding on with BOTH HAND with all I had , Did I say the currant was ripping? I kept looking at my SPG and my computer checking my depth.time and air. My arms are really burning  from all the exertion  pulling down  while the current is pulling me away from the line  (I am like a flag on a flagpole in a 40 mile hr, wind ) I am all most to the point of calling the dive and heading up the line .But I look down and I just see a strobe light flashing (I am at 110' or so)I think it was John's light. I make the decision to go the rest of the way , I have 1900psi air ,steel LP95  I am breathing 29% Nitrox . I at least want to touch the deck .  I pull a couple more times and I can see the dark outline of the ship. I finally reach the deck and the currant is know vary minimal .I swim around the deck for a couple minutes check my SPG and my computer .I am at my ascent pressure and I am pushing my NDL . I then signal Josh that I am  ending my dive and ascending. Josh gets Cliffs attention and relays to him . .we all start our ascend.this where thing take a unexpected turn . We ( Josh , cliff, John in that order) are ascending hand over hand , I keep checking my depth , We are not getting any shallower ? We are staying at 90' not getting higher . The currant is still ripping . We reach the end of the line and the mooring ball   had been pulled under the water and collapsed it in on it's self.We are still around 90' , there is no more line to the surface ,  Josh taps me on my arm and signals to let go (Well I was narced by this time I do not remember that ). here is the things going through my mine OOO SHIT , I know the only way to the surface is to free ascend  . So I let go (by this time I have came up to 80' area)Just after I had let go I looked for Josh and Cliff . All I seen was bubbles, I am on my own Do to the unexpected ascent profile  I had burned through most of my air . I was forced to remove the 3 minute safety stop.  I then did a slow ascent to the surface ' I broke the surface and look over and the boat is only 50 yards away  from me. Boat sees me and swings around down currant from me so as to board the boat with more ease .Josh ,Cliff and John surface about 75 to 100 yards down currant of were I surfaced. the boat swings around and picks them up  All accounted for  . We find out after all divers were picked up (6 divers total) that if they had waited for the DM to surface before letting divers to dive .The dive would have been aborted ,only half the divers on the boat did the dive , Use three , John and 2 tech dives did the dive Wow what a dive pushed my skills.








No comments:

Post a Comment